Time: March 5, 2010 at 9am to December 12, 2010 at 5pm
Location: Portland Maritime Discovery Centre
Street: Lee Breakwater Road (Portland Foreshore)
City/Town: Portland, Victoria
Website or Map: http://maps.google.com.au/map…
Phone: 03 5522 2319
Event Type: exhibition
Organized By: Trevor Smith
Latest Activity: Mar 8, 2010
The 50th anniversary year of the opening of the Port of Portland is commemorated in a new exhibition at Portland’s Maritime Discovery Centre.
The exhibition tells the story of the Port’s construction, from the formation of the Portland Harbour Trust and appointment of Commissioners in 1950, to the opening of stage one of the Port in 1960.
Over 50 photographs from the Port of Portland collection make up the display. The photographs are selected from several thousand images donated to Glenelg Shire Council in 1996 when the Port was privatised. Included in the exhibition are a number of colour images recently reprinted from 35 mm slides, and previously unseen in a public display.
The photographs document the Port construction progress from the dredging and reclamation works in the bay, excavation works at Cape Grant Quarry, the first stones tipped for the breakwater, the construction of the wharf, and activity in the model shed, to the grand opening on November 19, 1960.
Other items in the exhibition include the Chief Engineer’s monthly reports, the Harbour Master’s diary, recordings of wave action from the model shed, and press clippings reporting on the Port’s progress.
Original 16mm film of the building of the Port has been transferred to DVD and will be screening as part of the display.
Add a Comment